This holiday season we are challenging you to switch up your usual meals! This blog post has the recipes for a delicious Mediterranean holiday themed meal that packed with healthy fats, citrus and herbs. Bon Appetit.
Mediterranean Baked Brie
- 3 tbsp fig jam or honey, divided
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup dried mission figs, sliced
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup walnut hearts, roughly chopped
- 13-oz round French brie
1.) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2.) Place the fig jam in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
3.) In a small bowl, combine the sliced dried figs with the nuts. Add half of the fig jam and mix well to coat the nut mixture.
4.) Place the round of brie in a small cast iron skillet or oven-safe dish. Using a small knife, coat the brie with the remainder of the jam (or honey.)
5.) Top the brie with the fig and nut mixture.
6.) Place brie skillet or dish on top of a baking sheet. Bake in 375 degree F-heated oven for 10 minutes (or until brie softens a lot and starts to ooze).
7.) Remove from oven and let brie sit for 5 minutes. Serve warm with your favorite crackers!
Serves 10 servings. 168 kcal per serving (not including crackers)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa, and toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
- In a bowl, toss quinoa together with garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and onion. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and serve.
Makes 4 servings. 207 kcal per serving.
One Pan Roasted Lemon Pepper Salmon and Garlic Parmesan Asparagus
- 1 1/2 lbs salmon , skin on*
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic , minced, divided
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each salt and fresh cracked black pepper , plus more for asparagus
- 1/2 lemon , thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs asparagus (medium or thin spears), tough ends trimmed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a rimmed 17 by 12-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Place salmon in center of pan (or see note below).
In a mixing bowl whisk together 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 cloves garlic, Dijon. Brush evenly over top of salmon then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper (add more pepper to taste if desired). Top with lemon slices.
Toss asparagus and cherry tomatoes with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, remaining 2 cloves garlic and season with salt, then place around salmon.
Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes. Remove from oven, toss asparagus and tomatoes then sprinkle with Parmesan. Return to oven and bake until salmon has cooked through, about 5 – 10 minutes longer. Cut salmon into portions. Serve warm.
Serves: 4-5 servings. ~380kcal per serving (salmon and vegetables)